Friday, December 11, 2009

Blog Stage 8

This is in response to Political Carousels story.
I believe that there should be an ordinance against panhandling. I find it quite annoying that I also have to roll up my window and stare past the person to avoid eye contact of the panhandler. I liked your comment about how if out of every 20 cars gives a panhandler $1...how it could potentially add up to $25 dollars an hour. This is more than some people make with an assosiates degree! I agree with you that we work hard for our money and shouldn't have to give it away to someone who is standing on the streets all day holding a sign. I would also like to comment on you question, "..how do you know we are not just supporting their habits of alcohol or drug abuse?" I have actually seen a panhandler on a corner in North Austin with a sign that said "need money for beer." This really angers me. We already have enough problems with alcohol in Austin. Why should I give someone even a penny if they are going to buy alcohol? I have alo been stuck at a red light and a panhandler actually came and knocked on my window. I don't believe these people deserve handouts. Some of them are just lazy and need to go out like every other person and find a job. All they need is a shower and to a ride to any of the local soup kitchens until they can find a job. Those who are physically of mentally disabled should have help provided for them by the government or people who want to donate to help them out as you commented on. I also agree that an ordinance to stop panhandling would make Austin a safer and less vunerable place to drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment